Authentic Argentinian recipes...Empanadas!
Look out for our tasty recipe cards in every box of wine...this month we've got yummy Empanadas.
1/2 tsp salt
250g plain flour
50g unsalted butter
2 onions, chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 and 1/2 red peppers
300g minced beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 medium potatoes
3 hard-boiled eggs
1. Heat the water in a pan and add salt. Remove from heat and let it cool down a little.
2. Combine flour, butter, salted water and mould into a soft pastry ball. Wrap tightly in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7.
2. Melt butter in a frying pan and stir the onions and spring onions until tender. Add chopped red peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add minced beef and stir with a wooden spoon until fully browned. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, cumin and paprika. Remove from heat.
4. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add cubed potatoes and cook for 8 to 10 minutes; drain and add to filling. Toss in chopped eggs and let it stand and cool down for a couple of minutes.
5. Remove pastry from the fridge and knead on a floured surface. Divide dough in half and roll out each portion to 2mm thickness.
6. Cut 10cm circles with a pastry cutter or sharp knife and wet the edges with water. Add 1 tablespoon of filling in the centre of each disc, fold the pastry over, and press and seal with a fork. Transfer to a baking tray.
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.